Friday 27 January 2012

Running injuries

Well yesterday was a complete fail. I stepped outside at 6:30pm, planning to meet with people at the McGill indoor at 7 only to realize my achilles tendon still hurts when I run. So that was a no-go. Oh well, guess more rest is necessary. Might switch back to pool running. I still don't have anywhere near the soreness of pain from the last time I did this, also it's a different part of my tendon. I tend not to repeat the exact same injury twice. Maybe that's a good thing. A better thing would be to avoid injury. Smart, but not smart enough.



So pool running looks to be on my horizon. Part of me loves pool running. I like it better than a treadmill as it's nice to be away from all those television screens. Also better than stationary biking. It strikes me as interesting that an injured runner can still do so many sports (biking, hiking, swimming, xc skiing). What does that imply? Are these sports 'lesser' in some way, or handicapped? Something about running that involves the use of every muscle, joint, and tendon to its fullest. I never once injured myself cross country skiing (unless counting falls).

I've started to think of running more as a ballet-type sport than a display of raw power. What never ceases to amaze me is the fastest runners always look the most relaxed. They don't bare their teeth and scream in pain for an entire race. The last lap is a different matter, but to get there you must be relaxed. How else does an elite close a 10km race with a 55 sec 400m? Not possible without some part of you holding back. Watching enough high-level competition myself, I noticed how much grace the best runners show even up close. They're like figure skaters without the smiling. Unless your name is Haile Gebrselassie, in which case running exactly like figure skating: